Driving license is an official document issued by the Regional Transport Authority, RTO, which permits citizens drive motorized vehicles on public roads across India. The minimum age to apply for driving license is 18 years.
Driving license can be used as a valid document for identity and age proof. At some places, the document can also be used as a valid address proof. The driving license holder’s full legal name, date of birth and signature is printed on the driving license. Driving license would be valid for a time period and requires periodic renewal.
Generally, the driving license issued would be valid for twenty years or till the applicant turns 50, whichever is earlier. Driving without driving license is an offence. You would be charged fines and penalties when caught without driving license.
Want to know more on Investment Planning? We at IndianMoney.com will make it easy for you. Just give us a missed call on 022 6181 6111 to explore our unique Free Advisory Service. IndianMoney.com is not a seller of any financial products. We only provide FREE financial advice/education to ensure that you are not misguided while buying any kind of financial products.
It is compulsory for all vehicle drivers in India to possess a valid driving license to drive on public roads across India as per the Indian Motor Vehicles Act, 1988. Driving license authorizes the driving license holder to drive a certain class of vehicles over a certain period of time. Post this period, you must renew your driving license to legally drive vehicles across India. Driving with an expired driving license or no driving license is a punishable offence by law. Individuals caught with no valid driving license are liable to pay fines and penalties as per Section 177 under Motor Act, 1988.
Expired driving licenses are valid for one month post expiry. You can renew driving license within this time period of one month called grace period.
A duly filled driving license renewal application form must be submitted to the local road transport office, RTO. Driving license would be renewed for five years for non transport or non commercial vehicles and for three years for transport or commercial vehicles. It usually takes up to 20 days for receiving renewed driving license upon successful submission of renewal application.
SEE ALSO: Aadhaar Card Check Online
Driving Licence Renewal Form
A driving license renewal form is used as a document of KYC, when the driving license holder is applying for updating or renewing driving licenses. The road transport office RTO, must understand details of the current expired license of a driving license holder.
Driving license renewal form can be downloaded from the regional road transport office’s official website. Physical copies are available at all local regional transport offices.
Below mentioned is the list of requisite or driving license renewal:
· A duly filled driving license renewal application form. This can be downloaded from the official website of regional RTO/RTA portal.
· Applicants for driving license renewal must undergo certain medical tests to assess physical fitness. Medical form is available on the official websites of regional RTOs. This form must be filled by an authorized physician.
· Medical clearance report from an authorized physician.
· Valid permanent driving licence.
· Valid proof of age: PAN card issued by IT department, Passport issued by the Ministry of External Affairs, MEA, Voter ID card issued by the National Election Commission, Class X marks card issued by the respective SSC board, Date of birth certificate issued by the local municipal office, Class X transfer certificate and so on.
· Valid address proof: Passport issued by the ministry of external affairs, old/expired driving license, electricity supply bills, telephone bills, lease or rental agreement, property tax assessment, Water supply bills, Ration card, Photo passbook attested by the branch manager and so on.
· Latest passport size photographs. Different states require applicants to produce different number of photographs.
· All permanent license holders must update their address change with the requisite documents within one month to the regional road transport office. You can visit the road transport office that issued the original license or the nearest regional office for updating the change in address.
· In the event of permanent license holders moving to another state, they must obtain no objection certificate, NOC, from the state that issued permanent license and submit it to the new local road transport office.
SEE ALSO: Voter ID Card How to Apply in Online?
A fee of Rs 200 would be charged if you apply for renewal within one month from expiry of the driving license. On application for renewal post the grace period of 1 month, a penalty of Rs 100 would be levied, which sums up the total renewal fee to Rs 300. There would be a penalty of Rs 1,000 for each year of delay in renewing driving license.
Keep your Financial Cognizance up to date with IndianMoney App. Download NOW for simple tips & solutions for your financial well being.
You May Also Watch:
Keep your Financial Cognizance up to date with IndianMoney App. Download NOW for simple tips & solutions for your financial wellbeing.
Have a complaint against any company? IndianMoney.com's complaint portal Iamcheated.com can help you resolve the issue. Just visit IamCheated.com and lodge your complaint. If you want to post a review on any company you can post it on Indianmoney.com review and complaint portal IamCheated.com.
Be Wise, Get Rich.
This is to inform that Suvision Holdings Pvt Ltd ("IndianMoney.com") do not charge any fees/security deposit/advances towards outsourcing any of its activities. All stake holders are cautioned against any such fraud.