The Economic Survey of 2019 has revealed that life expectancy in India would go up in the next few years and consequently the retirement age. So, having a health insurance plan in place is all the more important. Sadly, the lack of awareness among the common man on health insurance is a major problem. The common man must get covered under a social security scheme like Ayushman Bharat to fight health issues in an effective way.
Want to know more on Health Insurance? We at IndianMoney.com will make it easy for you. Just give us a missed call on 022 6181 6111 to explore our unique Free Advisory Service. IndianMoney.com is not a seller of any financial products. We only provide FREE financial advice/education to ensure that you are not misguided while buying any kind of financial products.
Economic Survey 2019: How Health Insurance Can Be Made More Accessible?
The changes suggested by the economic survey consist of seven behavioural tools:
Leverage Default Rules:
- Enhancing health insurance plan with default options helps decision making and makes health insurance popular in India.
- Medicines become affordable when default rules like pre-specific time for certain vaccinations are removed.
See Also: Health Insurance Benefits
Emphasize Social Norms:
- Conducting campaigns to prevent the use of drugs among teenagers can help bring some major improvements. These campaigns also present the harmful effects of drug abuse and the number of deaths caused by drug abuse.
- Conducting awareness drives on vaccination and help establish social norms that show vaccines to be safe and a must to save lives from deadly diseases.
- Presenting data on the importance of health insurance, how many people have taken up health insurance and how health insurance is beneficial in fighting ailments.
Make It Easy To Choose:
- Seeking the customer’s opinion on the factors which are important while choosing a health insurance plan and customizing as well as restricting the health insurance plan, only to these factors. This makes availing health insurance plans really easy and a large number of people avail health insurance plans.
- Implementing certain behavioural changes in schools and college canteens may lead to an increase in nutritious and healthy food habits among youngsters. The changes can be brought about by altering the menu (introducing nutritious food), giving interesting names to certain foods, placing them near the counter and so on.
See Also: Health Insurance Plans
Disclose the Outcome:
- Making people aware of the health benefits of certain practices like washing hands before meals or family planning is a great idea. These awareness drives show how healthy habits have great health benefits.
- Sending notifications and reminders to patients and reminding them on appointments for vaccination or medical drives/camps can boost participation in these medical camps.
- Doctors can encourage patients to take up healthy lifestyle practices like yoga and regular walks. This can be implemented by making the patients enroll in such programs or sign a pledge in the presence of the signee and offer rewards or coupons for following the pledge. There must also be programs where the patient would be certified by an authority.
- People suffering from critical illnesses often forget to follow a strict schedule. In this case, sending daily reminders or introducing pill bottles which light up automatically if the medicine is not taken at the right time, helps the patient take his medicines. Offering certificate of appreciation to patients who maintain the schedule and follow prescriptions can enhance drug adherence among patients.
See Also: Exclusions of Health Insurance Policy
Leverage Loss Aversion:
- Many people find it difficu llenges while accomplishing certain lifestyle changes like completely avoiding smoking or drinking and losing weight by following a balanced food chart. In these cases, people must be made to post deposit contracts for a voluntary period that would be returned if these people are successful at achieving goa lt to follow the routine and face challenges while accomplishing certain lifestyle changes like completely avoiding smoking or drinking and losing weight by following a balanced food chart. In these cases, people must be made to post deposit contracts for a voluntary period that would be returned if these people are successful at achieving goals, but are non-refundable otherwise.
See Also: Types of Health Insurance Plans in India
Make Messages Match Mental Models:
- Certain mental models like the control of diarrhoea need a major change. The main aim is to control and decrease child’s fluid intake as well as lesser use of ORS to bring about the intended changes. Conducting awareness campaigns on the adaptation of oral rehydration solution helps change the flawed mental model.
- Taking measures like putting up hoardings and message boards in public areas and public hospitals, as well as advertisements on radios and television, helps spread awareness among the public. The advertisements must emphasize the ill-effects of smoking, messages on sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) and breast and cervical cancer in women. These advertisements must educate people, create awareness and show the importance of timely diagnosis.
- Spreading awareness on mother and child health and the importance of breastfeeding and using commitment devices helps mothers adopt healthy practices.
See Also: Health Insurance Premium Calculator
You May Also Watch
Keep your Financial Cognizance up to date with IndianMoney App. Download NOW for simple tips & solutions for your financial wellbeing.
Have a complaint against any company? IndianMoney.com's complaint portal Iamcheated.com can help you resolve the issue. Just visit IamCheated.com and lodge your complaint. If you want to post a review on any company you can post it on Indianmoney.com review and complaint portal IamCheated.com.
Be Wise, Get Rich.