What is KVPY?
Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana is a government aided program initiated by the department of science and technology, aimed at students interested in science to pursue courses and a career in the field.
Students must pass the KVPY exam to avail the benefits of this scheme.
The Objectives of The Program are:
- Identify the right candidates.
- Assist them realize their potential.
- Encourage them take up research as a career.
- Ensure the students are well equipped for research and development in the country.
Want to know more on Investment Planning? We at IndianMoney.com will make it easy for you. Just give us a missed call on 022 6181 6111 to explore our unique Free Advisory Service. IndianMoney.com is not a seller of any financial products. We only provide FREE financial advice/education to ensure that you are not misguided while buying any kind of financial products
What are The Eligibility Criteria for Availing This Scheme?
Before going to the eligibility, it is mandatory to mention the three streams under which KVPY exams are conducted. They are SA, SX and SB.
SA: Science stream students of the 11th standard fall under this category.
SX: Science stream students of the 12th standard fall under this category.
SB: Students of 1st year graduate science programs like B.Sc, B.S come under this stream.
There are certain eligibility criteria that students must meet for this exam.
See Also: 6 Advantages of Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana Scholarship
Students in the SA category must secure a minimum of 75% in maths and science in their 10th standard board exams. For SC, ST and PWD, the minimum cut-off is 65%.
- Besides the above mentioned criteria, students in the SX category must secure 60% marks in Maths and Science subjects in the 12th board exams. For SC, ST and PWD, the minimum cut-off is 50%.
Along with the above two conditions, students must secure 60% in the first year of the UG course. For SC, ST and PWD, the minimum cut-off is 50%.
Benefits of The Scheme
- Scholarship: One major benefit of this scheme is that it offers scholarships to talented students. It’s Rs 5,000 a month for the first 3 years of the UG course for students of science and medicine. It’s Rs 7,000 a month for higher education up to the pre-PhD level. An additional amount of Rs 20,000 will be provided to students each year for the first three years and increases to Rs 28,000 during the following years.
- Research projects: If a student qualifies for this exam, then must carry out a research project under the supervision of a scientist or scholar. This presents students with many opportunities and the required exposure. It helps them improve their knowledge and technical know-how. It assures them of a career in the field of science engineering and research.
- New avenues: This scheme opens up various new avenues for the students. They get to attend summer camps, seminars and workshops conducted by renowned persons in the fields of engineering and medicine. They spend 1-2 weeks in science institutions and get a chance to closely interact with the scientists. They get access to research laboratories, libraries and institutions. All they must do is produce their ID cards.
- Add on to the CV: A CV is a portfolio of your educational records and experience. Freshers often face the difficulty of being turned down by recruiters due to lack of experience. To overcome this, students must attend as many seminars and workshops as possible. Having a KVPY scholarship is a feather in the cap of the candidates.
- Easy admission: Getting admission in reputed colleges is a tedious task. A student who is willing to get admission in great research institutes like IISc and IISERs; can easily get through the admission process if you have a good KVPY score. Generally, these candidates enjoy a direct entry to the institutes if they have performed well in KVPY exam.
- Helps to prepare for other exams: The KVPY syllabus is similar to other entrance examinations like JEE and NEET. This means, by preparing for the KVPY exams, students can prepare for the entrance exams as well.
See Also: How to Apply for Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana Fellowship?
Initiatives like KVPY scheme are a great help to the under privileged students. For the success of these programs; it is important to ensure the scheme reaches out to the people in rural areas.
Keep your Financial Cognizance up to date with IndianMoney App. Download NOW for simple tips & solutions for your financial wellbeing.
Have a complaint against any company? IndianMoney.com's complaint portal Iamcheated.com can help you resolve the issue. Just visit IamCheated.com and lodge your complaint. If you want to post a review on any company you can post it on Indianmoney.com review and complaint portal IamCheated.com.
Be Wise, Get Rich.