What Is Passport?
Passport is an official document issued by the Government of India through the Ministry of External Affairs, MEA. Passport can be considered certification of nationality and identity of an individual by the government.
Why Do You Need A Passport?
Passport is a must have document to travel abroad. Without a valid passport, you cannot book international air tickets or visa to travel abroad. Passport holder’s photograph, full legal name, date of birth, place of birth, signature and full residential address with pin code would be printed on the passport. Passport can also be used as a valid document for identity proof, address proof and age proof.
How to Apply?
Applying for passport has become easy and hassle free, as MEA has outsourced the process to TCS. It is mandatory for all passport applicants to have a prior appointment for document verification at a Passport Seva Kendra, PSK. You will not be serviced by PSK officials without a prior appointment. You must follow the below mentioned steps to book an appointment at a PSK:
- Log on to the official website of PSK at https://portal2.passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/welcomeLink.
- Create an account if you don’t have one
- Click on ‘new user’ to register if you don’t have an account.
- You will be redirected to a new page containing the registration form, you will have to mandatorily fill the information of all fields highlighted by asterisk (*).
- Choose your regional passport office.
- Enter your full legal name that would be printed on the passport.
- Enter the login ID with which you would be able to access your account, it can also be your email ID.
- Confirm your password in the specified format.
- Choose your security question and enter the answer.
- Enter the captcha and click on ‘register’.
- Choose the application type. It can be fresh or reissue of passport, diplomatic or official passport, police clearance certificate and identity certificate. You must click on ‘fresh passport / passport reissue’.
- Click on the appropriate e - form for a download.
- Fill the e – form.
- Submit the filled e – form.
- Choose the passport type: fresh or reissue, normal or tatkal, passport booklet of 36 or 60 pages.
- Click on ‘next’
- Fill the relevant sections of the application. You will be asked to fill the information pertaining to:
- Passport Type (current page)
- Applicant Details
- Family Details
- Present Address
- Present Address 1
- Present Address 2
- Emergency Contact
- Previous Passport,
- Other Details
- Submit the duly filled application form
- On filling the above details, your application reference number ARN is generated.
- The next step is to pay and schedule an appointment.
- You can make online payment through net-banking or credit and debit cards. For offline payment, you need to make a bank deposit.
- For online payment, you can schedule your appointment immediately.
- For offline payment, you first need to make payment at a partner bank’s branch and then choose the time slot for document verification. Bank may take up to two days to confirm the payment.
- Post successful payment, you will be redirected to a page where you can choose time and date for your appointment for document verification.
- You will receive SMS on your registered phone number and email ID, post successful appointment booking.
SEE ALSO: Why Do You Need A Passport?
- To check and print ARN, you must log on to ‘applicant’s home’.
- Click on ‘view saved/submitted applications’. Your following details would be mentioned:
- Application Reference Number, ARN
- File Number of the applicant
- Applicant’s Name
- Appointment slot and Submission Number
- Next, the applicant must select the ARN.
- On selecting, a table comprising below mentioned options are displayed.
- Retrieve partially filled form
- Pay and Schedule Appointment
- Print Application Receipt
- View/Print Submitted Form
- Track Application Status
- Track Payment Status
- Payment Receipt
- Upload Supporting Documents
- Appointment History.
- Click on ‘print application receipt’ to download and print your ARN receipt.
Important Documents Needed For A New Passport
Post successful submission of application for a passport, you must visit the selected Passport Seva Kendra, PSK, for document verification in person on the time and date of appointment. You will have to produce applicable annexures as mentioned at https://portal2.passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/online/annexureAffidavit.
Following are the important documents needed for a new passport:
Documents accepted as a valid age proof:
- Birth Certificate issued by the Registrar of Births and Deaths or the Municipal Corporation or any other prescribed authority, whosoever has been empowered under the Registration of Birth and Deaths Act, 1969 to register the birth of a child born in India.
- Transfer/School leaving/Matriculation Certificate issued by the school last attended/recognized educational board.
- Policy Bond issued by the Public Life Insurance Corporations/Companies having the DOB of the holder of the insurance policy
- Copy of an extract of the service record of the applicant (only in respect of Government servants) or the Pay Pension Order (in respect of retired Government Servants), duly attested/certified by the officer/in-charge of the Administration of the concerned Ministry/Department of the applicant.
- Aadhaar Card/E-Aadhaar.
- Election Photo Identity Card (EPIC) issued by the Election Commission of India.
- PAN Card issued by the Income Tax Department.
- Driving License issued by the Transport department of concerned State Government.
- A declaration given by the Head of the Orphanage/Child Care Home on their official letter head of the organization confirming the DOB of the applicant.
SEE ALSO: Documents Needed For A New Passport
Documents accepted as a valid address proof:
- Telephone (landline or post paid mobile bill)
- Electricity bill
- Income Tax Assessment Order
- Election Commission Photo ID card
- Proof of Gas Connection
- Certificate from Employer of reputed companies on letter head
- Spouse's passport copy (First and last page including family details mentioning applicant's name as spouse of the passport holder), (provided the applicant's present address matches the address mentioned in the spouse's passport)
- Parent's passport copy, in case of minors(First and last page)
- Aadhaar Card
- Rent Agreement
You May Also Watch
You must log on to https://portal2.passportindia.gov.in/AppOnlineProject/docAdvisor/displayAttachmentsTest to check if there are any other documents to be produced as per your application category.
Have a complaint against any company? IndianMoney.com's complaint portal Iamcheated.com can help you resolve the issue. Just visit IamCheated.com and lodge your complaint. If you want to post a review on any company you can post it on Indianmoney.com review and complaint portal IamCheated.com.
Be Wise, Get Rich.