What is Universal Account Number (UAN)?
UAN or Universal Account Number is a unique 12 digit number, assigned to members of the employees provident fund organization or EPFO. The UAN is allotted to each member of the EPFO. This facility enables the user, link multiple EPF Accounts allotted to them by employers, during their employment period. The UAN remains same throughout the life of an employee. So, with the introduction of UAN, a user not only manages multiple PF accounts, but can also transfer and withdraw funds easily.
To simplify PF account operations, the Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation has launched an online transfer portal. Using recent technology, EPFO is trying to simplify processes related to EPF. Previously, the transfer and withdrawal of PF was tedious and time-consuming. Individuals had to physically visit their old employers and submit transfer documents to get the task done.
With the introduction of UAN, an employee can link all PF accounts together. This facility enables the user to link multiple EPF Accounts allotted to them by different employers.
Want to know more on Investment Planning? We at IndianMoney.com will make it easy for you. Just give us a missed call on 022 6181 6111 to explore our unique Free Advisory Service. IndianMoney.com is not a seller of any financial products. We only provide FREE financial advice/education to ensure that you are not misguided while buying any kind of financial products.
SEE ALSO: What Is UAN? Why Learn About It?
How to Generate UAN Number Online?
Services offered by the UAN:
- Update PF passbook including all transfer-in details.
- Facility to link previous members’ ID with present ID.
- Monthly SMS regarding credit contribution to PF account.
- Facility for auto-triggering transfer request on change of employment.
How to Generate UAN Number Online?
If you are unable to get the UAN number from your employer, then you must obtain your UAN number through the UAN portal. The steps are given below:
- Go to the UAN online portal
- Click on “know your UAN status”
- A page appears. From this page, select your state and EPFO office from the dropdown menu and enter your PF number or member ID along with other personal details like name, date of birth, mobile number and security code.
- Next click on the tab “ Get authorization PIN”
- You will receive a PIN on your mobile number
- Enter the PIN and click on the button “validate OTP and get UAN”
- Your UAN will be sent to your mobile number.
Documents Required to Open UAN:
With the introduction of universal account number or UAN, an employee can assemble all PF accounts associated with multiple IDs of different organizations at one place. So, to open the UAN account, the employee must submit some documents which are as follows:
- Banks details: account number, branch name and IFSC code.
- Identity proof: Voter ID, passport, Aadhaar card, driving license.
- Proof of address: Utility bills, ration card, rental agreement, telecom bills.
- ESIC card.
- PAN card: the PAN details must be linked with UAN.
- Aadhaar card: Must be linked with bank account number and valid mobile number
Follow the steps given below to register UAN online. The process is simple and hassle free and can be done in a few minutes:
- After receiving UAN, log in to the official website of EPFO services, where you can activate your UAN. Select “activate UAN based registration” and provide details of your UAN, member ID and mobile number.
- After you have correctly entered and submitted the information, you will receive a PIN for authorization on your mobile. After you have entered the PIN, a page will appear where you can create a login ID and password. You can use the login ID and password for subsequent log ins and for using the services offered by the UAN portal.
- The user name will always be your UAN while you can choose the password.
How to Activate and login to EPFO Website?
To activate and login to the EPFO website, the user must have the UAN number and PF member ID. Follow the steps given below to activate and login to the EPFO account:
- Visit the official website of EPFO.
- Go the EPFO homepage and select ‘For Employees’ listed under the ‘Our Services’ menu on the dashboard.
- In the service section click on ‘member UAN/ Online Service’
- The page will be redirected to the UAN portal.
- Here you need to enter your UAN, PF member ID and mobile number
- Enter the security code and click on ‘Get Authorization Pin’ button
- An OTP will be generated and sent to your mobile number
- Click on ‘I Agree’ in the disclaimer checkbox, enter the OTP received and click on ‘Validate OTP and Activate UAN’
- On activating the UAN, you will receive a password on your registered mobile number.
- You can use this password to access your account.
Benefits of Universal Account Number:
Given below are some of the features and benefits of UAN:
- The UAN helps assemble all the PF accounts of a single employee under one parent account.
- It helps in easy management of employees provident fund data in India.
- The employers can easily verify their employees using the UAN.
- The UAN facilitates and helps EPFO extract the KYC details of the members.
- UAN helps employees easily withdraw PF online (fully or partially)
- The UAN helps the EPFO keep track of job changes.
- The UAN makes sure all PF accounts of the employees are genuine and valid.
- With the introduction of UAN, an employee can easily transfer and withdraw funds in the PF account, without employer validation.
- The employees can get monthly notifications and easily track both employees and employer’s contribution, deposited in the PF accounts.
- UAN ensures that employers cannot hold or access employees PF money.
How to Activate UAN using SMS and EPFO app?
The EPFO app was launched in the year 2015. The app enables the user get information on PF accounts, via smartphones.
To activate UAN, the user must download the app on smartphones and activate UAN login and registered mobile number. On submission, the user receives the requisite details.
Generating UAN through Aadhaar:
Members can self generate UAN by using Aadhaar card. Follow the steps given below to self generate UAN through Aadhaar:
- Visit the official EPFO member portal
- Select “online aadhaar verified UAN allotment”
- Enter your aadhaar card number
- You then have to click on “generate OTP” to receive OTP on your registered mobile number
- Enter the OTP received in the field provided
- As soon as you make a submission, a page appears displaying your aadhaar card details
- Select on the “register” button
- Once that is done, the UAN will be allotted.
Advantages of UAN to Employees:
Here are some of the advantages that the UAN offers to employees:
- With every job change, an employee is given a new ID and PF account. The UAN helps the employee unify all the PF accounts under one single account.
- The UAN facilities easy withdrawal of PF online, using the UAN number.
- The UAN makes sure the employer does not withhold the PF money of the employee.
- Transferring balance from old PF account to the new one has become easier with the introduction of UAN.
- The employees can access PF statements anytime, either by logging in using the member ID or by sending a SMS.
- The employee also receives an SMS alert each time a contribution is made by the employer, provided the employee registers on the UAN portal.
UAN is a unique number assigned to EPF members. UAN is important in transferring the entire process related to EPF services, online. This has helped users easily access services related to PF like withdrawal, checking PF balance, track the employee and employer contribution each month, enable mobile notification applying for loans easily, and so on.
SEE ALSO: EPFO Aadhaar Link
The users can do all these tasks and there’s no need for employer approval for withdrawal of funds. The UAN also makes sure that the employer does not hold employees PF money and this reduces corruption in the system. It enables the user manage all the PF accounts in one primary account i.e. UAN, thus simplifying the process and making it hassle free.
You May Also Watch
Keep your Financial Cognizance up to date with IndianMoney App. Download NOW for simple tips & solutions for your financial wellbeing.
Have a complaint against any company? IndianMoney.com's complaint portal Iamcheated.com can help you resolve the issue. Just visit IamCheated.com and lodge your complaint. If you want to post a review on any company you can post it on Indianmoney.com review and complaint portal IamCheated.com.
Be Wise, Get Rich