The Income Tax Department is not only encouraging taxpayers to file ITR in the electronic form, it is also promoting verification of the IT returns through Electronic Verification Code (EVC).
An option of filing income tax returns through paper mode is only available to:
- Super senior citizens (aged 80 years or above).
- Taxpayers whose taxable income is up to Rs 5 Lakhs and no tax refund is due.
- If you are filing ITR 1 (Sahaj) and ITR 4 (Sugam).
Want to know more on Tax Planning? We at IndianMoney.com will make it easy for you. Just give us a missed call on 022 6181 6111 to explore our unique Free Advisory Service. IndianMoney.com is not a seller of any financial products. We only provide FREE financial advice/education to ensure that you are not misguided while buying any kind of financial products.
You May Also Watch:
ITR Filing: How To E-verify ITR?
Filing income tax returns are deemed to be complete, only if the taxpayer verifies it. In fact, verification of returns is mandatory for the Centralized Processing Centre (CPC) of the Income Tax Department to accept and process the returns.
You can verify your income tax returns in the following ways:
- Digital Signature
- Electronic Verification Code (EVC)
- Aadhaar based OTP
- Submission of acknowledgement to CPC Bangalore
Prior to e-filing and e-verification of income tax returns, it was mandatory to send a signed physical copy of the ITR acknowledgement (ITR-V), to CPC Bengaluru, for processing. Now that the IT Department is promoting EVC to verify ITR, you need not send a signed physical copy of the ITR-V to the CPC.
An Electronic Verification Code (EVC) is a 10-digit Unique Alphanumeric Code, which confirms the identity of the taxpayer. A person furnishing an ITR can generate the Electronic Verification Code, through the Income-tax e-filing portal using various methods.
Also See: ITR Form-1
Important points to keep in mind:
- EVC is unique to each ITR. It means that one EVC can validate only one ITR.
- One EVC remains valid only for 72 hours from its generation.
- You can generate EVC through Net Banking, Bank account number, Demat Account Number or Bank ATM.
1. How to generate EVC through Net Banking?
- Log-in to your e-filing account through Net Banking.
- State Bank of India users can follow: Select e-Tax > More > Login to e-filing/e-verify.
- If you want to generate EVC but have not yet filed ITR, go to My Account > Generate EVC > Select the ‘Option 1 – Generate EVC through Net Banking’ and click on Continue.
- If you have already filed ITR and want to verify it, go to My Account menu > e-verify return, click on the e-verify link against the return that has to be verified and click on Continue.
You can use this only if your bank offers a net-banking facility. Currently, 35 Nationalized Banks provide e-filing login facility to customers.
2. How to generate EVC through Bank Account Number?
- Validate your bank account: log-in to E-filing portal, go to Profile Settings > Pre-validate your Bank Account.
- Mention Bank Account Number, IFSC, Mobile Number and E-mail ID.
- Once your bank confirms the details entered, your bank account will be validated to generate the EVC.
- Next, go to My Account menu > e-verify return, click on the e-verify link against the returns that you want to verify and then select ‘Generate EVC through bank account number’.
- EVC will be sent to your registered mobile number. Use this EVC and enter it on the e-filing portal to verify your return.
Only some specified banks offer this option.
SEE ALSO: Top 5 Reasons To Buy Term Life Insurance In Your 30s
3. How to generate EVC using Demat Account Number?
- Validate your Demat account: log-in to E-filing portal > Go to Profile Settings > Pre-validate your Demat Account.
- Select Depository type, i.e., NSDL or CDSL and enter your Demat account no., Mobile Number and E-mail ID.
- On confirmation of your details by the Depository, your Demat Account details will be validated to generate EVC.
- Next, go to My Account menu > E-verify return, click on the E-verify link against the return that you want to verify, select ‘Generate EVC through Demat account number’.
- Enter the EVC sent to your registered mobile number on the e-filing portal to verify the return.
4. How to generate EVC through a Bank ATM?
- EVC can be generated through ATMs of SBI, Axis Bank, Canara Bank, ICICI Bank and IDBI Bank.
- Visit the ATM
- Select “PIN FOR INCOME TAX FILING” to generate the EVC.
- On generation, EVC will be sent to your registered mobile number.
- Go to My Account menu > e-verify return, click on the e-verify link against the return you want to verify.
- Select ‘I already have an EVC to E-verify my return’ and enter the EVC to verify your return.
Only some banks offer this facility. Your PAN must be linked with your Bank Account to avail it.
Be Wise, Get Rich.