Search in Indianmoney's WealthPedia

Home Articles IndianMoney Reviews Filing Complaint Against Builder In Consumer Forum

IndianMoney Reviews Filing Complaint Against Builder In Consumer Forum Research Team | Posted On Monday, November 26,2018, 06:27 PM

5.0 / 5 based on 1 User Reviews

IndianMoney Reviews Filing Complaint Against Builder In Consumer Forum



There are plenty of complaints against builders and developers. Non delivery of possession certificate is one of the biggest complaints against builders. Poor quality construction, leakage in ceiling, low quality electric wiring, improper drainage system, and delay in handing over the apartment are some of the other complaints.

They are plenty of ways builders can cheat you. A common unfair practice is insertion of a penalty clause which favors builders. All rules and penalties are for customers and none for builders. A buyer could be charged a penalty of 18% on delayed payments when buying an apartment. The builder clause has a penalty of just 1-2% for the builder in case of late delivery.

What to learn on residential land and residential apartments? We at will make it easy for you. Just give us a missed call on 022 6181 6111 to explore our unique Free Advisory Service. is not a seller of any financial products. We only provide FREE financial advice/education to ensure that you are not misguided while buying any kind of financial products.

IndianMoney Reviews Filing Complaint Against Builder In Consumer Forum

The Real Estate Regulatory Authority (RERA) Act, 2016, is a boon to buyers of residential apartments. For buyers it gets better and better. Consumer Courts and Consumer Forum’s look into customer grievances even if the real estate purchase is less than a Crore. You enjoy protection under the Consumer Protection Act, 1986, even for real estate projects.

SEE ALSO:How To Handle Customer Complaints A Review By IndianMoney

Steps to file complaints In Consumer Court:


Before filing a complaint with consumer court, send a notice to the builder. This may be because of deficiency in service or any unfair practices. You are giving the builder a chance to rectify the error by giving you compensation. If the builder doesn’t care about the notice, approach the consumer court.


Submit a formal complaint under Consumer Protection Act, 1986. The complaint form must have all facts (this is necessary to take action), and must be submitted to the commission.

File the complaint in the district forum where the office of profit (area where the real estate project is located) is under the jurisdiction. Make sure details of the complaint and the faulty party are included. Specify compensation costs and relief amounts sought in the complaint. Sign at the bottom of the complaint.


Pay the fees through a demand draft. If you are claiming less than Rs 20 Lakhs, the plea will be heard by the District Consumer Disputes Redressal Forum.

If you are claiming between Rs 20 Lakhs to a Crore, the State Consumer Dispute Redressal Commission will look into the complaint. If you are claiming more than Rs 1 Crore, the National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission (NCDRC) will look into the complaint.

SEE MORE:How To File Complaints On IndianMoney With Consumer Forum? 

Fees for consumer court:

District Forums:

  • For complaints up to Rs 1 Lakh, fees are Rs 100. For complaints between Rs 1-5 Lakhs, fees are Rs 200. For complaints between 5-10 Lakhs, fees are Rs 400. Between 10-20 Lakhs, fees are Rs 500.

State Forums:

  • For complaints between Rs 20-50 Lakhs, fees are Rs 2,000. For complaints between Rs 50 Lakhs to Rs 1 Crore, fees are Rs 4,000.

National Commission:

A standard amount of Rs 5,000 is charged.

SEE ALSO:How To File ATM Fraud Complaint Review By IndianMoney

File complaint with RERA:

You can file complaint with RERA if the builder doesn’t give possession of apartment in time. You can withdraw from the project and get back the money paid with interest. If you continue with the project, you would receive interest for every month of delay. If you find the construction of apartment faulty, complain to RERA.

File Civil Suit:

If the builder doesn’t hand over possession by the requisite date, file a complaint for damages at the Civil Court.

Opt for arbitration:

Check for the arbitration clause in the builder-buyer agreement. Go for an out-of-court settlement via arbitration. This is better than going to court. The NCDRC has stated that even if there is an arbitration clause in the builder-buyer agreement, you cannot be forced into arbitration.

Go To Criminal Courts:

File a criminal complaint under the provisions of the IPC (Indian Penal Code) for cheating.

Have a complaint against any company? complaints portal can help you resolve the issue. Just visit and lodge your complaint.

If you want to post a review on any company you can post it on review and complaint portal

You May Also Watch:

Iframe Content

Keep your Financial Cognizance up to date with IndianMoney App. Download NOW for simple tips & solutions for your financial wellbeing.

Be Wise, Get Rich. 

What is your Credit Score? Get FREE Credit Score in 1 Minute!

Get Start Now!
Get It now!

This is to inform that Suvision Holdings Pvt Ltd ("") do not charge any fees/security deposit/advances towards outsourcing any of its activities. All stake holders are cautioned against any such fraud.