Indira Awaas Yojana is a social welfare flagship program initiated by the Government of India, under the leadership of the then Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi in the year 1985. The Indira Awaas Yojana scheme was a part of a bigger project known as Rural Landless Employment Guarantee Program (RLEGP). The main purpose of this program was to rehabilitate the rural poor and vulnerable groups by providing monetary help and support for the construction of residential dwellings.
Since the inception of the Indira Awaas Yojana, the scheme has provided millions of Indians, the means to build and construct houses. The central idea of the scheme is to provide affordable housing to all. It also aims at eradicating rural poverty along with establishing rural infrastructure. The scheme aims to alleviate general living standards of the rural population, as well as reduce the number of homeless people.
Want to know more on Home Loans? We at IndianMoney.com will make it easy for you. Just give us a missed call on 022 6181 6111 to explore our unique Free Advisory Service. IndianMoney.com is not a seller of any financial products. We only provide FREE financial advice/education to ensure that you are not misguided while buying any kind of financial products.
The scheme has changed the face of rural India. The Indira Awaas Yojana has provided homes to millions of homeless people, by helping them fulfill dreams of building homes. The scheme is important as it aims to rehabilitate poor families. The scheme was implemented by the Ministry of Rural Development and provides sufficient funds for the weaker sections of society, ensuring they have sufficient funds to build houses for themselves.
Funds are provided by both the Central Government as well as the State Government in the ratio 75:25. The exception to this provision is seen in Sikkim and North-Eastern states, where the Central Government provides 90% of the funds and the State Government provides the remaining 10%. Initially, the beneficiaries used to get Rs 48,500 for the construction of houses in hilly areas and Rs 45,000 for the construction of houses in plain lands. However, currently (from 2013 onwards), the grants have increased to Rs 75,000 and Rs 70,000 respectively.
Listed below are the main features of the Indira Awaas Yojana:
SEE ALSO: How To Get A Subsidy On Your Home Loan?
Monetary support under this scheme is provided to the following groups:
Some of the main benefits of the Indira Awaas Yojana are as follows:
The housing projects headed by the Indira Awaas Yojana, aims to exhibit and apply newer technologies for the construction of houses. The focus is on eco-friendly sustainable methods for the construction of houses as well as locally available construction material.
The main objective of the Indira Awaas Yojana is to rehabilitate the poor and vulnerable families, living below the poverty line. The government also rehabilitates rural families by providing them monetary grants under the Indira Awaas Yojana scheme, when affected by natural disasters like floods, cyclones and so on.
One of the main purpose of this scheme is to rehabilitate people working in the unorganized sector like bonded laborers and manual scavengers as well as members belonging to the tribal groups. The scheme also encompasses people who has been affected by the working environment due to exposure from asbestos, pesticides, silicosis and seeks to rehabilitate them. The program rehabilitates families belonging to the schedules tribes and traditional forest dwellers along with widows and other individuals, who have been relocated along the international borders.
The NDA government has renamed the Indira Awaas Yojana as the Pradhan Mantri Awaas Yojana or PMAY. Though the government did not give any specific reasons for the change in the name of the scheme, they have projected the new scheme will be an improvement over the previous scheme and will have new policies regarding the construction of homes.
You May Also Watch
Keep your Financial Cognizance up to date with IndianMoney App. Download NOW for simple tips & solutions for your financial wellbeing.
Have a complaint against any company? IndianMoney.com's complaint portal Iamcheated.com can help you resolve the issue. Just visit IamCheated.com and lodge your complaint. If you want to post a review on any company you can post it on Indianmoney.com review and complaint portal IamCheated.com.
Be Wise, Get Rich
This is to inform that Suvision Holdings Pvt Ltd ("IndianMoney.com") do not charge any fees/security deposit/advances towards outsourcing any of its activities. All stake holders are cautioned against any such fraud.