An act to provide for the establishment of an authority to protect the interest of the holders of insurance policies, to regulate, promote and ensure orderly growth of insurance industry and for matters connected therewith or incidental there to and further to amend the insurance act 1938, the life insurance act 1956 and general insurance business (Nationalization) act 1972.
1) A chairperson
2) Not more than 5 whole-time member
3) Not more than 4 part-time members
The whole-time members shall hold the office for 5 years or until the age of 62 years (65 for chairperson) and part-time members will hold office for not more than 5 years or until age of 62 years.
1) To regulate, promote and ensure orderly growth of the insurance business.
2) To exercise all powers and functions of the controller of insurance
3) To protect the interests of the policyholder in settlement of claims and conditions of policies.
4) To promote and regulate professional organization connected with insurance business.
5) To call for information from, undertake inspection and conduct investigations including audit of the insurers, intermediaries and other connected organizations and persons.
6) To control and regulate the rates and terms and condition that may be affected by insurers in respect of general insurance matters, not so controlled by the Tariff Advisory committee under section 64 (u) of the Insurance act.
7) To prescribe the manner and form in which accounts will be maintained and submitted by insurer and intermediaries.
8) To regulate investment of funds.
9) To regulate margins of solvency.
10) To adjudicate disputes between insurers and intermediaries.
Keep your Financial Cognizance up to date with IndianMoney App. Download NOW for simple tips & solutions for your financial wellbeing.
Have a complaint against any company? IndianMoney.com's complaint portal Iamcheated.com can help you resolve the issue. Just visit IamCheated.com and lodge your complaint. If you want to post a review on any company you can post it on Indianmoney.com review and complaint portal IamCheated.com.
Be Wise, Get Rich.
Mr. C S Sudheer is the founder and CEO of IndianMoney.com – India’s largest Financial Education Company. He started his career with ICICI Prudential Life Insurance and later on worked with Howden India. After his brief stint in Howden India, he moved on and incorporated Suvision Holdings Pvt Ltd which is the sole promoter of IndianMoney.com. He aims to build a nation that is financially literate with investment savvy citizens.
Subscribe to our Youtube Channel
Hello friend! I am your personal financial advisor. By the end of this interactive session, I will help you to plan yours and your family's finances to ensure a better future.