Search in Indianmoney's WealthPedia

Home Articles What Are The Different Types Of Visa In India?

What Are The Different Types Of Visa In India? Research Team | Posted On Monday, March 12,2018, 05:35 PM

4.8 / 5 based on 5 User Reviews

What Are The Different Types Of Visa In India?



If you or any foreigner intends to travel to India, you need a visa along with a valid passport. So, what is a visa? A visa is an endorsement on a passport that indicates, the holder is allowed to enter, leave or stay for a specific period of time, in a country.

All foreigners entering India must have a valid visa obtained from an Indian Mission. The Indian Government offers two ways of getting a visa.

  • A Traditional Visa.
  • The e-Visa.

A traditional Indian Visa is stamped inside your (traveler's) passport. The e-Visa is issued electronically. Want to know more on travel insurance? We at will make it easy for you. Just give us a missed call on 022 6181 6111 to explore our unique Free Advisory Service. is not a seller of any financial products. We only provide FREE financial advice / education to ensure that you are not mis-guided while buying any kind of financial products.

You May Also Watch:

Iframe Content

What Are The Different Types Of Visa In India?

Before you learn about the different types of visas in India, first get to know how to apply for the e-visa.

1. Steps to apply for an e-visa

STEP 1: You must first apply online at this website. You upload a photograph and the passport page.

STEP 2: You then pay the visa fees, using your credit card or debit card.

STEP 3: You then receive the e-Visa online (It gets sent to your email).

STEP 4: You take a printout of this visa and remember to carry it with you when traveling to India.

Keep your Financial Cognizance up to date with Wealth Doctor App

2. Different types of visas in India?

1. Tourist Visa:

If you want to come to India on a visit, go sightseeing or attend a Yoga Program/Course, you need a tourist visa. A tourist visa is for tourism/recreation, casual visits to meet friends or relatives. You will not be given a tourist visa if you have a residence/occupation in India. A tourist visa is usually issued for 6 months.

2. Employment Visa:

If you are a foreigner working for an Organization registered in India, you need an employment visa. Employment visas are usually issued for a year or the term of the contract, but can be extended. To get an employment visa, you must show proof that you are working for an Organization in India. You can show the contract which states the terms and conditions of work.

To get an employment visa, you had to have a salary in excess of $25,000 a year. This rule does not apply to Ethnic Cooks, Language Teachers (Other than English Teachers), Staff working for Embassy/ Foreign High Commission. This rule has since been relaxed to allow foreigners to teach in Central Higher Educational Institutes.

SEE ALSO: 5 Reasons Why You Need To Use Credit Cards

3. Intern Visa:

Before April 1st 2017, you or any foreigner pursuing an internship in India had to get an employment visa. Today, foreigners who meet certain conditions can get an intern visa.


  • The gap between the completion of the graduation/post graduation course and the commencement of the internship, must not exceed a year.
  • The intern visa is valid for a year or the duration of the course, whichever is less.

4. Research Visa:

If you are a professor/scholar who intends to visit India for research-related activities, you need a research visa. Your application is sent to the Department of Education where the Ministry of Human Resource Development has to grant approval.

5. Medical Visa:

If you (foreigner) wants to avail medical treatment in India at a specialized hospital/treatment center, you need a medical visa. The treatment should be of a serious nature like neurosurgery, heart surgery, organ transplant, joint replacement, gene therapy or plastic surgery. An additional two medical attendant visas will be granted to persons, accompanying the patient.

6. Film Visa:

If you (a foreigner) want to make a TV Show or a commercial film in India, you need a film visa. Your visa application will be sent to the  Ministry of Information and Broadcasting for approval. The validity of the film visa is a year.

7. Journalist Visa:

If you are a professional journalist or a photographer, you need the journalist visa. This visa is issued for up to 3 months. If you list your profession as employed with a media Company, journalist/photographer you need a journalist visa. Be Wise, Get Rich.

What is your Credit Score? Get FREE Credit Score in 1 Minute!

Get Start Now!
Get It now!

This is to inform that Suvision Holdings Pvt Ltd ("") do not charge any fees/security deposit/advances towards outsourcing any of its activities. All stake holders are cautioned against any such fraud.