Universal Account Number or UAN:
UAN stands for universal account number. It is a 12-digit number assigned to members of the employee provident fund organization or EPFO.
This facility enables the user link multiple EPF Accounts allotted by employers during the employment period. So, with the introduction of UAN, a user not only manages multiple PF accounts, but can also transfer and withdraw funds easily.
Want to know more on Investment Planning? We at IndianMoney.com will make it easy for you. Just give us a missed call on 022 6181 6111 to explore our unique Free Advisory Service. IndianMoney.com is not a seller of any financial products. We only provide FREE financial advice/education to ensure that you are not misguided while buying any kind of financial products.
SEE ALSO: PF Withdrawal Procedure - EPF Withdrawal Form, Rules, Status Online
What Is UAN Number?
How to know your UAN?
An employee can get their UAN number though the UAN portal by using their PF number or member ID. Follow the steps given below to know your UAN through the UAN portal:
- Visit the UAN portal
- On the home page select the tab ‘know your UAN status’
- On clicking on the tab a new page opens.
- On this page you have to enter your member ID and the requisite details.
- Select the state and EPFO office from the dropdown menu.
- After entering all the details click on the tab ‘Get Authorization Pin’.
- An OTP will be generated and sent to your registered mobile number.
- Enter the OTP and click on ‘validate OTP’.
- Select ‘get UAN’ button and UAN number will be sent to your registered mobile number.
SEE ALSO: Everything You Need To Know On Public Provident Fund
How to activate and login to the EPFO website using UAN?
To activate and login to the EPFO website, the user must have the UAN number and PF member ID. Follow the steps given below to activate and login to the EPFO account:
- Visit the official EPFO portal
- Go the EPFO homepage and select ‘For Employees’ listed under the ‘Our Services’ menu.
- In the service section select ‘ member UAN/ Online Service’
- The page will be redirected to the UAN portal.
- You need to enter your UAN, PF member ID and mobile number.
- Enter the security code and click on ‘Get Authorization Pin’ button.
- An OTP will be generated and sent to your mobile number.
- Click on ‘I Agree’ on the disclaimer checkbox, enter the OTP received and click on ‘Validate OTP and Activate UAN’.
- On activating the UAN, you receive a password on your registered mobile number.
- You can use this password to access your account.
Documents required to open UAN account:
With the introduction of universal account number, an employee can assemble all his PF accounts associated with multiple IDs of different organizations at one place. So to open the UAN account, the employee must submit some documents which are as follows:
- Banks details: Account number, branch name and IFSC code.
- Identity proof: Voter ID, passport, Aadhaar card, driving license.
- Proof of address: Utility bills, ration card, rental agreement, telecom bills.
- ESIC card
- PAN card
- Aadhaar card
SEE ALSO: EPF form 31: instructions, filing procedure and how to download
Features and benefits of UAN:
Given below are some of the features and benefits of UAN:
- The UAN helps in assembling all the PF accounts of a single employee under one parent account.
- It helps in easy management of employees data in India.
- The employers can easily verify their employees using the UAN.
- The UAN facilitates and helps EPFO extract the bank and the KYC details of the member, from the details available with the UAN.
- The UAN helps the EPFO keep a track of the job change of the employees.
- The UAN makes sure that all the PF accounts of the employee are genuine and valid.
- With the introduction of UAN, an employee can easily transfer and withdraw the funds in the PF account without seeking validation from the employer.
Advantages of UAN to employees:
These are some of the advantages that the UAN provides to employees:
- With each job change an employee is given a new ID and PF account. The UAN helps the employee unify all the PF accounts under one single account.
- The UAN facilitates easy withdrawal of PF online using the UAN number.
- The UAN makes sure employers do not withhold the PF money of the employee.
- Transferring balance from old PF account to the new one has become easier with the introduction of UAN.
- The employees can access their PF statement anytime either by logging in using the member ID or by sending an SMS.
- The employee also receives an SMS alert each time a contribution is made by the employer, provided the employee registers at the UAN portal.
SEE ALSO: EPF Loan Eligibility Calculator
How UAN has made it Easy to Withdraw/Transfer Funds?
Follow the below mentioned steps to withdraw or transfer funds from your PF accounts:
- Link all the PF accounts together using your UAN.
- Give UAN to your current employer and the employer will verify using KYC verification. Thereafter, you can manage your PF accounts online.
- You will receive monthly SMS alerts whenever a PF contribution is made by the employer.
- You can easily transfer funds or withdraw funds without the intervention of your employer.
Online UAN Allotment Process:
Listed below are some important points that you need to keep in mind while using UAN:
- The UAN is a 12 digit number allotted to all members by the EPFO.
- The UAN details must be downloaded and shared with the employer.
- The EPFO facilitates the checking of UAN allotment through the EPFO web portal.
How to Transfer EPF Accounts using UAN?
In order to transfer PF accounts online, the employee must register himself on the EPFO portal. Follow the steps given below to transfer EPF accounts online using UAN:
- Log on to the EPF portal and select the option ‘transfer your account’
- There are three parts in the form. Fill all the three parts in the form.
- Select the attesting authority and enter member ID/UAN
- Click on ‘Get OTP’
- Enter the OTP you have received to continue the process.
You May Also Watch:
Keep your Financial Cognizance up to date with IndianMoney App. Download NOW for simple tips & solutions for your financial wellbeing.
Have a complaint against any company? IndianMoney.com's complaint portal Iamcheated.com can help you resolve the issue. Just visit IamCheated.com and lodge your complaint. If you want to post a review on any company you can post it on Indianmoney.com review and complaint portal IamCheated.com.
Be Wise, Get Rich.