Search in Indianmoney's WealthPedia

Home Articles What to Do If You Have Lost Property Documents?

What to Do If You Have Lost Property Documents? Research Team | Posted On Tuesday, September 03,2019, 05:45 PM

5.0 / 5 based on 1 User Reviews

What to Do If You Have Lost Property Documents?



Satish desperately needed money to grow his business. He decided to sell one of his properties to arrange for funds. But when he searched for the property documents, he found them missing. He was not sure if the property documents were stolen or misplaced.

What would you do in such a situation if you ever lost property documents? The sale deed of a property is an extremely important document as it serves as a legal document during the purchase or sale of a property. The good thing is you can always avail a duplicate copy of the sale deed, but you have to shell out some money to get the duplicate papers done.

Want to know more on Residential Apartments? We at will make it easy for you. Just give us a missed call on 022 6181 6111 to explore our unique Free Advisory Service. is not a seller of any financial products. We only provide FREE financial advice/education to ensure that you are not misguided while buying any kind of financial products.

What to Do If You Have Lost Property Documents?

Procedure to Follow When You Lose Your Property Documents:

Given below are the steps you must follow if you lose property related documents:

File an FIR Immediately:

If you are sure on the loss of your property documents, then the first step you must take is to file an FIR with the Police. You must provide all the details on the property and the documents that have been lost. The police would try to trace the documents if they suspect they are stolen.

Generally, the police issue a non-traceable certificate if they are unable to track the documents. This certificate helps get a duplicate sale deed. Keep a copy of the FIR report handy as it is a relevant document that can be used in the future.

See Also: Things to Know Before Buying a Residential Apartment

Put an Advertisement in the Newspaper:

After filing the FIR, the next step would be to advertise the loss of documents in a leading newspaper. You will have to provide all the details on the property in the newspaper. This could be a national daily along with a regional newspaper.

You then have to wait for a few days in case the documents are retrieved. The advertisement serves as proof that the original documents were lost. If you do not receive any further information, then consider visiting the sub-registrar to enquire on the same.

See Also: 10 Things To Consider Before Buying A Home

Make an Application for a Share Certificate:

If you do not receive any information or correspondence on the loss of your property documents, then you can initiate a request for a share certificate from the housing society you live in. the resident welfare society summons a meeting and verifies your claim.

The housing society will issue a share certificate and a no-objection certificate or NOC once they are satisfied with the documents. However, you have to pay a fee to avail this service.

Register with the Notary:

The next step is the preparation of an undertaking on a stamp paper on the loss of property documents of the said property. You have to write an application to the sub-registrar and provide information on where the property was registered, information on the missing documents and other particulars about the property.

You have to submit a copy of the police FIR, a copy of the newspaper advertisements along with copies of the no-objection certificate and share certificate. All the documents mentioned in the undertaking will be attested and registered with the public notary to make it a legal document.

See Also: Real Estate in India - A Complete Insight

Apply for a Duplicate Sale Deed:

Once the undertaking is registered with the public notary; then the undertaking, a copy of the police FIR, copy of the advertisement given in the national daily/regional daily, and copy of the share and no-objection certificate or NOC is submitted to the office of the registrar.

The registrar will then scrutinize and verify the submitted documents. A duplicate sale deed is issued by the office of the sub-registrar, which can further be used as an authentic property document during the sale of the property. The sub-registrar may charge a small fee for issuing the duplicate certificate.

You May Also Watch

Iframe Content

Keep your Financial Cognizance up to date with IndianMoney App. Download NOW for simple tips & solutions for your financial wellbeing.

Have a complaint against any company?'s complaint portal can help you resolve the issue. Just visit and lodge your complaint. If you want to post a review on any company you can post it on review and complaint portal

Be Wise, Get Rich.

What is your Credit Score? Get FREE Credit Score in 1 Minute!

Get Start Now!
Get It now!

This is to inform that Suvision Holdings Pvt Ltd ("") do not charge any fees/security deposit/advances towards outsourcing any of its activities. All stake holders are cautioned against any such fraud.