Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana
Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana popularly called KVPY, is a successful scholarship program which is funded by the Department of Science and Technology. The aim of KVPY is to encourage students to choose research careers in the field of basic sciences.
Many students in India prefer the glamour of engineering and medicine to basic sciences. One of the biggest reasons is India is not motivating students to take up a career in research. Schools in India do not encourage students to have a career in research and make it an enjoyable experience. The fact of the matter is there are few institutions offering quality research opportunities to students.
Why basic sciences? Basic science improves the quality of life and increases the life span of humans. It helps bring down costs of goods and services, improving the economy of India. We don’t need to rely too much on imports, saving precious foreign exchange.
Want to know more on Investment Planning? We at IndianMoney.com will make it easy for you. Just give us a missed call on 022 6181 6111 to explore our unique Free Advisory Service. IndianMoney.com is not a seller of any financial products. We only provide FREE financial advice/education to ensure that you are not misguided while buying any kind of financial products.
What is Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana?
- Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana is a prestigious National Level Scholarship Program which is conducted by the Indian Institute of Science (IISC). IISC is a public institute for research and higher education in Science.
- Selected students are offered scholarships and grants up to the PhD level. If you are a student and want to take up a career in basic sciences and don’t have the money, KVPY comes to your aid. You get a monthly scholarship up to PhD.
- Interested in KVPY 2018? Do look up the dates. KVPY 2018 will be conducted on November 4th 2018. It will be under 3 streams – SA, SX and SB. The registration is currently closed. You and other students have to clear KVPY 2018 and enjoy direct admission in IISC, IISER and other top institutes.
Go through the KVPY eligibility criteria before applying for KVPY 2018
KVPY eligibility criteria for Stream SA
- You and other candidates should be studying in 11th standard (often called Ist PUC) and have scored at least 75% in Mathematics and science subjects together in 10th standard.
- For students of the SC/ST category, they should have scored at least 65%.
- Students get a fellowship only if they join an undergraduate course in basic science and not engineering or medicine.
- Students also need to score at least 60% in the aggregate of all science subjects in 2nd PUC Board Exams and its 50% for SC/ST students. Expenses for students who are invited for the National Science (Vijyoshi) camp, including travel expenses will be borne by KVPY.
KVPY eligibility criteria for Stream SB
- Students who are studying in the first year of the bachelor degree in basic sciences are eligible and should have scored at least 60% in 2nd PUC. For the SC/ST category it is 50%.
- Students should have scored a minimum of 60%, this is 50% in case of reserved category like SC/ST.
KVPY eligibility criteria for Stream SX
- Students who are studying in the first year of the bachelor degree in basic sciences are eligible and should have scored at least 60% in 2nd PUC. For the SC/ST category it is 50%
- Students should have scored at least 75% in class 10 and for SC/ST its 65% in aggregate of science and maths subjects.
- SA Stream: This is for students applying after 1st PUC.
- SX Stream: This is for students applying after 2nd PUC.
- SB Stream: This is for students studying B.Sc. Basic Sciences in the 1st year.
This is for the SA stream
- You have the syllabus of 1st PUC which includes the subjects of Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Biology. There’s also a test on analytical skills.
- If the head of the family is 60 years and above, then the second earning member of the family is covered under the scheme, provided he fulfills the eligibility criteria.
This is for the SB stream
- You have the syllabus of 2nd PUC which includes the subjects of Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Biology. There’s also a test on analytical skills.
This is for the SX stream
- You have the syllabus of 2nd PUC which includes the subjects of Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Biology. You also have the 1st year of BSc, BS, B.Stat, B.Math, Int. Msc, M.S. syllabus.
How much scholarship can you get?
- SA/SB/SX – During the first to third year of BSc, BS, B. Stat, B. Math, Integrated MSc and M.S., you get a monthly fellowship of Rs 5,000. You get an annual contingency grant of Rs 20,000.
- SA/SB/SX – During the M.Sc or the 4th and 5th year of integrated M.Sc, you get a monthly fellowship of Rs 7,000. You get an annual contingency grant of Rs 28,000.
KVPY Registration Form 2018
Submit the application for KVPY 2018 Online
Complete the KVPY 2018 online. It takes just 3 steps to complete the KVPY 2018 application.
- STEP 1: You have to complete the registration process.
- STEP 2: You fill up the personal and academic details. Choose the test centre; upload the photo, and also signature and applicable certificates.
- STEP 3: Pay the fees only at the KVPY application portal. You can pay by debit card, credit card or even net banking. After a successful payment, refunds are not entertained for whatever reason.
- Application fees are Rs 1000 for the general/OBC category. It’s Rs 500 for reserved category.
KVPY Application Form
- If you have registered for KVPY 2018, you can download the KVPY admit card at www.kvpy.iisc.ernet.in.
- Make sure the registered email ID and mobile is active as all important communication is sent there.
- The date of the KVPY Exam is November 4th 2018. The duration of the exam is 3 hours.